In this next tutorial, you'll find out what tools you'll need to replace the ball joints on a 1999 Ford Explorer. It's a pretty easy to follow, especially if you know anything about cars, so good luck and enjoy!
1) Remove wheel and all non essential parts (Brakes Calipers, Rotor, and Move hoses out of the way Ect..)
2) Remove Axle nut
3) Remove lower ball-joint castle nut and upper ball joint retaining bolt
4) Use a ball joint fork to separate upper and lower ball joints
5) Retract the axle out of the steering knuckle and suspend it using a bungee cord out of the way.
6) Move steering knuckle out of the way
7) Remove lower ball joint cir-clip
8) Pound the lower ball joint back out with a hammer or use a press tool.
9) Remove upper control arm and replace (It houses the upper joint).
10) Use a ball joint press to install the new lower joint and install the new cir-clip.
11) Reinstall the axle.
12) Reinstall steering knuckle and all fittings and hardware that you removed plus the new cotter pin on the lower ball joint castle nut, grease fittings etc..
13) Tighten axle nut.
14) Go over all of your work to make sure you've tightened everything back up and havent forgotten any bolts.
15) Reinstall brake pads rotor caliper and finally the wheel.
16) Lubricate the new joints with a grease gun.
A front end alignment should be performed on the vehicle after any front end work is done!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades